Friday, November 26, 2010

Puerto Rican Artisan Fair This Past Saturday

This past Saturday I participated in my very first craft fair. I was among the 40 or so artists who had a table at the 5th Annual Puerto Rican Artisans Fair at Hostos Community College. I came armed with my friend Sheila who helped me set up and eased my anxiousness with her fair business experience. She felt sick that day but I was so grateful she took the time to help me out.

Sheila at the table

Julia de Burgos and Pedro Albizu tops


Anyway, I had a super time. It felt so great to be part of such a talented pool of artists that were also Boricua (Puerto Rican). There were painters, photographers, wood workers, dollmakers, etc. There was such a great feeling of support and encouragement as we went around to each other's tables.  My table was between Jorge Gonzalez, an amazing painter who uses collage elements, and Ivelisse Pabon, and artist and dollmaker. Jorge comes from North Carolina every year for the fair and Yvelisse makes makes her way from Massachussetes.  I realized how prestigious it is to be accepted in this arena. Towards the end there was music, and dancing and it felt like a casual get together with people I have known a lifetime. I am always proud of being Puerto Rican but on Saturday, there was a special connection I felt to my people that I had not felt in a long time. I need to do this more often.

Want to know the best part? When I saw my mom, my sister Melissa and my nieces walk through the door. I have to say that I did shed some tears at their show of support. My mom whispered how proud she was of me and my sister also gleamed with excitement. That meant the world to me. I also have to thank my hubby who was home sick taking care of my boys. I can't do Nelesc Designs without him.

My mom and I

My sister Melissa and I

Finally, a big shout out to Luis Cordero who organized the fair and encouraged me to apply. Luis runs cemiundergound.com where you could find cool Pedro Albizu Campos gear amongst other Puerto Rican items. I will be doing a feature on him in a future post. Enjoy the pics! There's more on my facebook fanpage if you would like to join. Just search for Nelesc Designs. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment