Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tuesday Tutorial: Infinity Scarf from Sweater

Curl shrinkage is real people!
I usually cut my hair during the winter. I don't really notice the "shortness" of it because my hair shrinks about 4 inches when it's curly. When I do the winter cut, I simply flat iron it straight and I have long hair again. But this year is different. I want my hair to be long and curly by the time the summer rolls around so I need to keep the scissors at bay. The problem with that is that I won't have the option of winter straight hair because by now it has lost it's shape and looks too long and lifeless. So winter curly hair it is.  

I apologize for the blurry iPhone pic. 
I decided I needed a thick scarf that would cover my ears since hats tend to flatten my curly hair. If I need more warmth,  I also have my hood as a back up. Here is a tutorial on how to make a thick infinity scarf from a sweater. 

  I started with a large sweater

 I cut the arms off

 I opened them up

 I cut the body in half

 Then I cut the top of each half like so.

 I opened up each torso half and lined them up bottom to bottom.

 I stitched them, right sides together.

 I then added the opened sleeves on the bottom and sewed.


 Then I cut the inside of the sleeves to make it even with the sides it was sewn to.

 Fold in half and sew along the edge of the top making a tube.


 With right sides together, sew the ends to make a round tube.


I had my hair straight in the left photo, thus the hat. The scarf is wide enough to cover my ears and I can even put it over my head in case it gets super cold, like it did a couple of weeks ago.
 I really love it.

What do you think? How do you keep warm in the winter? Hat? Hood? Thick scarf?

12 comments:

  1. Cute Nellie! There is no end to your creativity, huh? Lol! I just love how your problem solving abilities come out in your designs. I hear you on the shrinkage. My very tight coils shrink up probably 75%. So most days I have a teeny weeny afro. Lol. Great job on your scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you cloudsfullofrain! Yes, you totally get the curl shrinkage thing, lol. Necessity is truly the mother of invention!

      Delete
  2. I love your hair curly! Good solution to keeping your ears and neck warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Learning to love what God gave me :)

      Delete
  3. I second Julie's comment, I love your curly hair. I have the opposite issue, stick straight hair. Great sweater refashion! I have been using an infinity scarf this year too. I crocheted a chunky scarf, and added buttons to one end. Versatile.
    Keep it up Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! Did you blog about your chunky scarf? Would love to see it. I wish I could crochet, just don't have the time to learn.

      Delete
  4. Great tutorial! I so envy your curly hair ... always wanted it, never had it, and isn't that typical? You're going to look glorious this summer with a curly mane! Hair is such an issue for me right now. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! Hair has ALWAYS been an issue for me. Now that I'm older, i am giving in to the natural...and yes, it's crazy how we always want the opposite, i always envied stick straight hair.

      Delete
  5. Love love love your hair. And your tutorial is fab, we are in the middle of summer at the moment, so not thinking about keeping warm just yet, but I will be needing some scarves come july so will keep this tutorial in mind.

    Thanks for linking up to ASWC together! http://www.andsewwecraft.com/2014/01/aswc-together-linky-party-back-2014/

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I am always so grateful for the opportunity to share. Thank you so much for stopping by, I continue to enjoy your blog!

      Delete
  6. Wow, the straighten hair makes you look so different! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magda, I know right! I don't even recognize that girl on the left, lol. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete